- Intending couple should appear in person before the Registrar of Marriages for an interview. They should be single, above 18 years. This does not apply in case they are customarily married.
- They should show up with the following:
- Proof of nationality for example a voter’s card, passport or National Identity Card
- An LC 1 letter to prove residence in Kampala district
- A passport size photograph
- Registered Marriage affidavits that conform with S.10 of the Marriage Act
- In case of foreign nationals, a letter from their Civil Registration or Vital Statistics Office confirming that the party is not married
- Where parties are between 18 and 21 years, they should in addition to 2 above submit:
- A birth certificate to prove parentage
- A consent letter from the parents or guardian
- A photocopy of the identification of the consenting authority
Refugees; – Refugee I.D – Bio Data from Office of the Prime Minister
- The intending couple fills in a notice of marriage before a registrar and is given assessment forms to make payments at any bank of his choice. Clients can also make self-assessment from the URA portal on www.ura.go.ug.
- The notice of marriage is pinned up on our notice board for 21 calendar days.
- If there is no objection to the marriage, the ceremony takes place between after 21 days but before the expiry of 90 days on Monday to Friday (working days) from 10 am to 4 pm.
- If there is an objection, a caveat is placed and the matter is referred to court by the Registrar of Marriages
Fees payable: Ug shs 260,000 for Ugandans and Refugees USD 210 for Foreigners
Guidelines to clients
- Client picks list of requirements from Civil Registry or URSB website
- Presents the following
- Have an Interview with the Registrar of marriages
- Makes the necessary payments upon approval by Registrar of Marriages
- Submits approved documents with proof of payment at reception and books date of marriage with Front desk officers into the marriage diary
- After 21 days from date of approval, confirms marriage & date of marriage with marriage desk during which corrections (if any) are made and draft certificate reviewed
- On marriage day, come with original identification documents of both couple and the witnesses