1. An Intending couple should appear in person before the Registrar of Marriages fro their district for an interview.
  2. The intending couple should come with the following;
    a. Proof of citizenship for example a passport or national identification card
    b. An LC 1 letter to prove residence for at least 15 days in the district in which the marriage is intended to be solemnized.
    c. A passport size photograph.
    e. Registered marriage affidavits that conform to Section 10 of the Marriage Act;
    e. In case of foreign citizens, a letter from the Civil Registration or Vital Statistics Office of their country confirming that the party is not married.
  3. The intending couple should fill a Notice of Marriage before a Registrar of Marriages (indicating their names, marital status, age, occupation and place of abode) and get assessment forms to make payments at any bank of their choice.
  4. Alternatively, a client can exrcise the self-assessment option by logging on to the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) website at www.ura.go.ug 
  5. The Notice of Marriage is published on the Registrar of Marriages’ notice board for 21 calendar days.
  6. If there are no objection to the notice of marriage, the ceremony takes place after 21 calendar days but not before the lapse of 90 calendar days. Marriages are celebrated from Monday to Friday, between 10 am and 4 pm, The parties appear with two witnesses before the Registrar who performs the ceremony and thereafter issues them with a Marriage Certificate
  7. If there is an objection, a caveat is placed and the matter is referred to court for settlement. 

    Fees Payable: UShs 260,000/- (Where one of the parties to the marriage is Ugandan or a Refugee)
                             US $210 (Where none of the parties to the marriage is Ugandan)