- In Kampala Marriage District: a. An Intending couple should send in their marriage application Form A, all the relevant documents (defined below in 2) and payment receipts scanned in one (1) pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org. b. In other Marriage Districts, the Intending couple should appear in person before the Registrar of Marriages to submit their Marriage application (defined below in 2) for Approval by the CAO.
- Below are the Requirements for contracting a Civil Marriage;
a. Proof of citizenship for example a passport or national identification card
b. An LC 1 letter to prove residence for the last 15 days for each of the parties intending to get married.
c. For solemnization of a marriage in Kampala District, at least one of the parties to the intending couple MUST show proof of residence in Kampala Marriage District. The same requirement applies to parties intending to marry in other Marriage Districts.
d. The Couple’s passport size photographs MUST be affixed on a duly filled Notice Form (Form A). e. The Duly filled Notice Form (Form A) must contain the following information: i. Their full names ii. Marital status iii. Age iv. Occupation v. Place of residence vi. Telephone Contacts vii. Witness Details and Complete Certificate details on Page 2 of Form A.
f. Registered marriage affidavits that conform to Section 10 of the Marriage Act;
g. In case of foreign citizens, a letter from the Civil Registration or Vital Statistics Office of their country confirming that the party is not married.
- Get URA payment assessment forms to make payments at any bank of their choice. (Most Preferably Diamond Trust Bank)
- Alternatively, a client can exercise the self-assessment option by logging on to the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) website at www.ura.go.ug
- The Notice of Marriage is published on the Registrar of Marriages’ notice board for 21 calendar days.
- If there are no objection to the notice of marriage, the ceremony takes place after 21 calendar days but not before the lapse of 90 calendar days. Marriages are celebrated from Monday to Friday, between 10 am and 4 pm, The parties appear with two witnesses before the Registrar who performs the ceremony and thereafter issues them with a Marriage Certificate.
- If there is an objection, a caveat is placed and the matter is referred to court for settlement.
- Fees Payable: UShs 260,000/- (Where one of the parties to the marriage is Ugandan or a Refugee)
- US $210 (Where none of the parties to the marriage is Ugandan)