Contracting a Civil Marriage

Celebration of civil marriages is governed by the Marriage Act Cap 251 Laws of Uganda. The Registrar General is gazetted as the registrar of marriages for Kampala capital city whereas the Chief Administrative Officer is gazetted as the Registrar of Marriages for districts outside Kampala. Civil marriages take place at the offices of these Registrars.

  1. Intending couple should appear in person before the Registrar of Marriages for an interview. They should be single, above 18 years and not parties to subsisting marriages.
  2. They should show up with the following:
  • Proof of nationality for example a voter’s card, passport or National Identity Card
  • An LC 1 letter to prove residence in Kampala district for at least 15 days
  • A passport size photograph for identification
  • Registered Marriage affidavits that conform with S.10 of the Marriage Act
  • In case of foreign nationals, a letter from your Civil Registration or Vital Statistics Office confirming that the party is not married
  1. Where parties are between 18 and 21 years, they should in addition to 2 above submit:
  • A birth certificate to prove parentage
  • A consent letter from the father or mother or legal guardian
  • A photocopy of the identification of the consenting authority


– Refugee I.D

– Bio Data from Office of the Prime Minister

  1. The intending couple fills in a notice of marriage before a registrar and is given assessment forms to make payments at any bank of his choice. Clients can also make self assessment from the URA portal on
  2. The notice of marriage is pinned up on our notice board for 21 calendar days.
  3. If there is no objection to the marriage, the ceremony takes place between 21 and 90 days on Monday to Friday from 10 am to 4 pm.
  4. If there is an objection, a caveat is placed and the matter is referred to court.

Fees payable:

Ug shs 260,000 for Ugandans and Refugees

USD 210 for foreigners

Time frame: 21 – 90 days