It is mandatory under the Marriage Act Cap 251, that all churches, denominations or bodies that wish to celebrate marriages under this law should get the buildings for those places of worship licensed by the Hon. Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs.


  1. An original application letter addressed to the MOJCA through the Registrar General from the church clearly indicating religious denomination, district, county, sub-county, parish and village of the church. Where the church is an affiliate of an already registered church, a recommendation letter from mother church.
  2. A certified copy of the certificate of registration from either NGO board or Registrar of companies or  under the Trustees incorporation Act
  3. A certified copy of the church’s land title or registered tenancy Agreement (if in a language other than English, this must be translated by the Makerere University Institute of Languages before submission)
  4. Copies of the approved building plans of the church
  5. Resumes, academic qualifications and valid identification of the proposed marriage celebrants
  6. Selected photographs of the church’s premises (interior and Exterior either black & white or coloured)
  7. Inspection report from the Registrar of Marriages
  8. Proof of payment of UGX 200,000

Every marriage celebrant or registrar at the districts, Churches, Mosques and Temples must remit revenue and file returns for all marriages celebrated or registered at the end of each month to the Registrar General at URSB.

Fees payable

UGX 35,000 where one of the two persons married is a Ugandan or a refugee

USD 35. Where none of the persons married is a Ugandan or a refugee


Guideline to clients

  1. Write an application for licensing place of worship to celebrate marriages to the MoJCA through the Registrar of Marriages attaching requirements listed above
  2. Get assessment form and make payments in the bank
  3. Submit application letter, attachments and proof of payment to the office of the Registrar General
  4. Wait for a call from URSB to pick license collect license from URSB after 5 working days
  5. submit License to UPPC for a gazette

:introduce register for licenses and correspondences with Secretary

  1. Submit copy of Gazette to URSB (Civil Registry)
  2. Submit monthly returns to the registrar of Marriages