Reports to: Senior Patent Officer
To examine patent, trademark and design applications to ascertain whether they meet the technical and legal requirements of relevant laws so that effective property rights can be granted and maintained in inventions, trademarks and industrial designs
- Receives applications for patents, utility models’ applications and industrial designs and assign application numbers.
- Captures data of patent applications in the Industrial Property Automated System(IPAS)
- Issue valid patents/UM
- Classify applications and take all office actions for effective prosecution of patent/UM applications
- Register licenses and contract license
- Provide advice and make representations before the Minister regarding compulsory licenses and government use of inventi
- Conducts formality and substantive examination of patents, utility model applications and Industrial design applications.
- Prepares correspondences and reports during and after substantive examination, and issuing of certificate of grant, annuities and patent utility model.
- Handling and managing regional and international patent applications
- Conducts technical searches and substantive examination of industrial design applications, prepares search reports and provides feedback to clients on search requests.
- Provides technical and legal advice to general public on the general aspects of Intellectual property, application, protection, and copyright for software applications, patent drafting and registration processes.
- Computes annuities due on granted patents for clients.
- Collect non-tax revenue
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned by the Senior Officer – Search and Examination
- An Honors’ degree in law, Engineering or related discipline.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation relating to registration duties.
- Good interpersonal, analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to liaise and network with other Government Departments.
- Ability to work in a team