Reports to: SENIOR PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
A Communications Specialist will mainly develop and implement a creative concept and public relations campaign in the form of a strategy for communicating the reforms currently being pursued by URSB with the aim of improving business registration and licensing processes. Under the overall supervision of the Senior Public Relations Officer in collaboration with the Registrar General’s office and Partners, the jobholder will oversee and supervise departmental communication activities (publications, media relations, online communication, internal communication, multimedia production, social media etc) and lead the projects promotional activities and events including media messaging, visibility and event management and press releases. The incumbent will also provide support to communication activities for the URSB as and when appropriate.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize, lead and coordinate a network of communication staff and consultants to achieve synergy, coherence and efficiency in the communication efforts/needs
- The Communications Specialist will also develop and implement an integrated communication strategy (including a media plan) taking into account URSB’s communication policy and strategy and oversee the major communication projects and initiatives of the project.
- Guide the steering committee on the communication efforts/needs and provide support to the URSB’s communication team.
- Manage the design and implementation of quality control processes aligned with the URSB established guidelines, procedures and structures for communication.
- Identify key messages, stories, events and other opportunities to promote the work and achievements of the Project, URSB’s strategic objectives; draft presentations, press releases and online content and create various related promotional materials
- Manage proactive and reactive media relation activities, including media monitoring and contact lists and identify experts to answer media queries/conduct interviews.
- Organize training and capacity building activities for URSB staff and Communication officers in areas such as media relations, social media, strategic writing, publishing etc. and assisted with the roll out of corporate communication tools and procedures
- Submit periodic reports on activities undertaken within the project
- Perform any other related duties as and when assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold an honor’s degree in Communication, Public Relations or related discipline with a Master’s degree in Communication, Public Relations or related discipline.
- At least five years’ relevant experience in media relations, corporate communication, journalism including in formulation, management and monitoring of communication plans and experience in the preparation and dissemination of communication and promotional material and in outreach, advocacy activities preferably in an international and local environment.
- Relevant experience in communication, particularly as it relates to development, including publication, media relations, online communication and social networks, experience in journalism/media will be given special consideration.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Proven and progressive track record delivering communication services to prominent organizations particularly at the international level.
- Possess the ability to manage and coordinate teams and in fostering team work and building good working relationships with clients and networking
- Extent of knowledge in international issues and development
- Past exposure and experience in fundraising and raising external relations is desirable
- The candidate should be an expert in system design tools and development methodologies
- Soft skills like management, leadership, communication, writing, presentation, listening skills, effective organizational and customer service skills;
- Team leadership and staff supervision.